[opendtv] Re: Garrison Keillor: Talk about obscenity

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:02:51 -0400

dgrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I would like to say that we all need to be held accountable for our actions
>and neither broadcasters nor congressional leaders should be exempt.

I am currently involved in a major project for a live entertainment show
that will be seen worldwide.  I'm sorry to be cryptic about the show,
but I don't wish to cause the producers or broadcasters any embarrassment.

In any case, the show, as I say, is to be entertainment.  It will have
major performers.  It is a live show.  They producers are anxiously
trying to figure out what to do to prevent the U.S. broadcasters from
being fined should one of those performers do something inappropriate
(and the definition of "inappropriate" changes regularly at the FCC,
even between staff and commissioners and from day to day).  With a short
delay, we can bleep a bad word (if we know what those words are).  But
what do we do if a whole act seems to go beyond the pale?  And what if
it's political rather than scatological/sexual?  How do we fill a
15-minute hole in a live broadcast?  Should the producers search out
bland talent?

No one is trying to shirk responsibility, but no one has a rulebook, either.

TTFN,
Mark