[opendtv] Re: Garrison Keillor: Talk about obscenity

  • From: dgrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:29:54 -0700

I find Garrison's arguments to be extreme.  I hope much of his rhetoric was
for comedic value and not serious arguments.  I do not know what is in the
Broadcast Decency Enforcement Act so I cannot say whether I am for or
against it.  If the Act really does force a small broadcaster to pay a
$500,000 fine for saying the work "breast", that truly would be an
injustice.  And are our congressional leaders really flashing their
privates and cussing at the visitors?

I would like to say that we all need to be held accountable for our actions
and neither broadcasters nor congressional leaders should be exempt.  If
broadcasters don't care about decency and preventing the incidents like
Super Bowl, then they don't have the integrity to use our public airwaves.
The Super Bowl incident, and others, truly show a lack of integrity.  We
really need to examine whether we want our society to become generally
indecent or whether we value politeness.

Dan Grimes