[opendtv] Re: Garrison Keillor: Talk about obscenity

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:26:14 -0400

>There is a huge difference between broadcasting a live news event where
>nobody can control what happens,

And, even on that, there's an issue.  And then there's the separate
question of what is news.  Is a presidential press conference news?  How
about a political candidate's press conference?  How about a corporate
press conference?  How about a celebrity press conference?

> and a live television entertainment program
>where the talent is under contract to perform, and I presume paid.

Your presumption may or may not be accurate.

>Things
>like (I'm nasty so she insists I call her) Miss Jackson's "Wardrobe
>Malfunction" was deliberate

There's no question that the removal of one layer was deliberate.  It
was said to be part of an anti-violence statement.  You may or may not
agree with that intention.  The removal of the second layer was, if I
recall correctly, not deliberate.

>and thanks to her language will be included in
>any future live talent contract that such "malfunctions" will be disclosed
>and approved in advance.

Ah, but what gets approved?  The removal of a woman's facial veil is
offensive to some.  To others, total nudity is not offensive.  As I say,
there is no rulebook.

>Have your entertainment program identify itself as TV-MA and let the V-Chip
>take care of things.

Would that the FCC and Congress would accept such things!

TTFN,
Mark