[opendtv] Re: Garrison Keillor: Talk about obscenity

  • From: dgrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:58:26 -0700

"...under FCC and federal precedent, breasts are not sexual..." --John
Willkie

How can anyone argue that the breast is not sexual?  One sex, the female,
has developed breasts, and the other, the male, does not.  We don't need a
law or a ruling to define a breast as sexual.  By definition, it is a
sexual organ.

It would be hard to argue that the intent of Janet Jackson's exposure was
not sexual.  She has not given birth nor did she attempt to feed a baby at
the unveiling of her breast. It will be easy to define it as "patently
offensive as  measured by contemporary community standards  for the
broadcast."  Obviously, there will be arguments otherwise, but I can't
think of any that would be reasonable or logical.  But then again, our
society values reason and logic so lightly, even though it is crucial to
our civility.

Dan Grimes