[opendtv] Re: France goes DTV

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 14:24:22 -0600

Bob Miller wrote:
> Cliff Benham wrote:
>

>>Doug McDonald wrote:
>>

>>>But Bob, the signals ARE easily receiveable ... FAR easier than
>>>getting a watchable analog signal. There is simply no
>>>comparison.
>>>

>>This might be the case where you live.
>>Not where I live.
>>I can get more easily watchable NTSC over the air stations with a 4
>>element U/V antenna
>>15 feet off the groound from both Baltimore and Philadelphia than
>>digital stations from the same two cities
>>with a 7 foot parabolic UHF antenna 35 feet in the air with a mast
>>mounted preamp.
>>

> Don't tell that to Doug. It gives him a headache stuffing that info into
> the compartment where he forgets such things. Doug is of the opinion
> that if he gets a good signal that is enough for everyone.

I live in a place that is substantially worse, signal wise, than much of
the US. For example, there are numerous high-rise buildings within
three miles. Also, one station is shielded from me by a nearby hill.
Numerous other are shielded from me by a thing called the Earth, with
as much as a pile of dirt up to 350 feet high and 18 miles long.

All work fine. This is a typical situation, or worse, than all of Illinois.

Doug McDonald