[opendtv] Re: France goes DTV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 11:16:36 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> While in other countries with low power MFN's and
> SFN's  using COFDM where broadcasters have
> BOTHERED and worried incessantly about the plight
> of their customer, asking what kind of service
> that customer might value the most, making sure
> the equipment is good and works plug and play,
> receivers are sold in the millions.

The performance parameter that helps support
deployment of SFNs or low-powered on-channel
repeaters is echo tolerance. No matter what the
modulation, if you have good echo tolerance,
especially tolerance to pre-echo, you will be
able to use these configurations.

In large urban areas in Europe, people tend to
use roof mounted antennas on tall apartment
buildings. Certainly true in Paris. Way higher than
the 35' figure we keep hearing about here, which
would be common in a two-story single family home.
And even today, there's less urban sprawl than in
the US.

If you look at the map, you'll see that Sannois,
NNE of Paris, which has a 500 W transmitter site,
is less than 8 miles from the Eiffel Tower, as the
crow flies. So these are, by US standards, not
large coverage areas. And coverage doesn't even
extend as far as Mantes, a town west of Paris and
less than 30 miles away. Mantes has its own 1000
watt transmitter site.

So we're really comparing apples and oranges in
terms of how to cover large areas.

Oh, by the way, the Mantes site is not in a SFN
with the Paris transmitters. So it's much as we
would have here in the US, between markets that
are close together.