[opendtv] Re: France goes DTV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 11:57:55 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I don't mean this personally. If broadcasters are
> to survive, then they must deliver a reliable, no
> hassle service to a very high percentage of homes
> in each market (IMHO >95%). The best way to do
> this is with properly designed networks of lower
> powered transmitters. Ironically, this may
> actually be cheaper than the big stick approach.

You keep repeating this, Craig, but the answer is
much less obvious than you seem to think.

Even in Europe, different models are used. In France,
they follow your formula. In Germany, they don't.
Their DTV transmitters are on tall sticks and operate
at 180 to 200 KW, only two in the Berlin SFN. This
is five to ten times the power used in France. And,
at 2 b/s/Hz vs 3.3 b/s/Hz, they get similar coverage
as what we expect here. That is, about 12 mile range
for indoor antennas, and they get something less than
60 mile range with rooftop antennas.