[opendtv] Re: FW: Intel Will Lead Us to à la Carte Pay TV

  • From: "TLM" <TLM@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 06:28:44 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Albert Manfredi
Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2013 3:23 PM

I will bet a ton of money that there would be huge demand for unaltered,
undubbed, un-sub-titled US TV programming overseas, over the internet. I
would equally bet you that if this content were easy for people to watch on
their TVs, as they are used to watching TV, it would be even more popular.

TLM: A minor nit from first hand real world experience:

My Chinese fiancée loves English subtitles on American soundtrack programing
(both TV and at the Movies).  I'll take the example of Two and a Half Men,
which she seriously enjoys now that I've turned on subtitles.  She is highly
educated, an American citizen, and speaks/writes English better than many
people who were born here.  But American slang and foreign accents on
English speakers (Cockney and Southern-speak for example) elude her.  She
found the English language dialog track on The Hobbit very difficult to
understand (heck, so did I sometimes).

But subtitles on Two and a Half Men in particular, makes or breaks her
consumer experience.  Charlie's, Berta's, Alan's, Evelyn's and Jake's slang
and double entendres simple don't fly.  With subtitles, reruns of Two and a
Half Men might actually have market potential in China!  (But then I really
don't expect the Chinese Gov't would let that series on the Internet over
there......)