[opendtv] Re: FW: Intel Will Lead Us to à la Carte Pay TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 09:11:36 -0500

At 3:30 PM +0000 2/25/13, Mike Tsinberg wrote:
Do you think its Emmy worthy to be the first who created technology and business model for Internet TV distribution that led to today's proliferation of Apple, Intel and others?

The concept is certainly Emmy worthy, but in practice, I doubt the organization would touch this with a 10 foot pole.

First, to whom would you give credit?

Since we started OpenDTV in the '90s, here are a few of the companies that have attempted to develop this new industry:

Microsoft
Apple
YouTube
Adobe
Google
Intel
Akamai
Real Networks
Broadcast.com
Duck Corporation
Rackspace
Starlight Networks
Roku
Netflix
Amazon

And there are probably dozens more...

The big problem is that this list reads much like an "enemies list" for those who are in power today. The congloms are playing around the edges as they seek ways to control this transition rather than being consumed by it.