[opendtv] Re: FW: Intel Will Lead Us to à la Carte Pay TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:50:48 +0000

Cliff Benham wrote:

>> Which of course brings up the same old question. How come
>> the available connected TVs, Roku, or AppleTV, refuse to
>> permit users to find this stuff?

> Ratings and profits.
>
> The programmers, distributors and the equipment makers are no
> longer operating as separate entities. "They" are connected in a
> very 'gray' way that makes watching programs available through
> their 'channels' boost their ratings and their profits which
> benefits all of them.

Okay, so Craig says "stupidity" is the problem with the CE vendors, and Cliff
says "they're on the take." I feel blessed! I already allowed for both options!

> They have similar goals even though they may be in direct
> competition for your eyeballs, and they definitely don't want
> to make offshore programs like those you mentioned above
> available through their 'channels' since they can't get any
> benefit from carrying them,

Remember: I'm talking about the CE vendors here. LG, Samsung, Philips, these
guys should have no goal other than to sell as many TV appliances as possible.
If LG can make a "proper" Internet TV, people should be flocking at it. If the
other CE vendors are too stupid, as Craig suggests, then they will quickly
learn.

> They want complete control of what is available for you to watch
> and they definitely don't want you to know about other program
> sources like those you have found by [in their view] sneaking
> around on the internet.

Aaahhh, yes, you are emphasizing that the CE vendors are on the take. Because
as you see, you have very well articulated how the CE vendors are dutifully
obeying to the motivations of content owners and of legacy TV distribution
networks, and not what a reasonable person would assume would be the CE
vendors' best interests.