[opendtv] Re: FW: Intel Will Lead Us to à la Carte Pay TV

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 19:29:40 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> More homes are buying Smart TVs, using game consoles, streaming TV devices,
> and even PCs to watch content from the Internet. But the majority of THIS
> content is ALSO from the congloms; just offered via a secondary outlet after
> it has been shown in a MVPD bundle, or FOTA.

Exactly. Available unbundled, on demand, some free and some with a much lower
subscription price than typical MVPD. And most importantly, and relevant to the
subject topic, without having to be beholden to any CE vendor or to any
non-standard distribution pipe.

> But 85% of the FOTA viewers are watching via an MVPD bundle and paying a
> subscriber fee for the privilege.

So, you want me to ask the same question again? What exactly is it about TV
that makes everyone so plumb stupid? We've been over this contless times. Cord
cutters and cord-nevers are increasing, especially among the younger crowd.
Those who show no restraint, however, are welcome to keep beating their heads
against the wall, yes?

> By the way, Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, and Google Play are not combined
> ownership sites.

And Hulu is. So as I already said, the congloms have a ton of options for how
best to use the Internet. They do not need an Intel or GM or Coca Cola to
"convince" them that they have to do anything differently.

> In a sense, Netflix is not much different than what Intel is proposing

All the more reason for the trade press to quit gushing over these supposed
"reinvented TV" schemes. Like you say, OTT sites are nothing new. Isn't that
what my first reponse was, Craig? Same-o same-o. Intel or Apple, they're just
johnny-come-latelies in this Intenet world.

> 2. Would you expect the congloms to make less than they are making today
> with any new Internet service?

Even if they provide the content only ad-supported, they could make way more
than they do now. They could have a global audience, subject only to the
restrictions they place upon themselves **or** the restrictions they allow the
MVPDs to place on them.

Plus, via Internet subscription sites like Netflix, the congloms can continue
to rake in their dual revenue streams.

So in short, I **do not** buy any of this "Rome wasn't built in a day" stuff.
The congloms have changed the way they operate a whole lot already, *and* all
the tools are in place now for them to go a lot further. The congloms will
undoubtedly keep developing their distribution solutions, and I see no added
value with Procter & Gamble jumping in as middleman.