[opendtv] Re: Valve's Newell: How PCs Will Take Over the Living Room

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 19:01:00 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Your assertion is vacant with respect to the average consumers viewing habits.
> You are foregoing a large pool of content that is ONLY available via the MVPD
> bundles;

Too bad, so sad. As long as people allow themselves to be led by the nose, the
supply side can soldier on with what they've been doing. And those who complain
about it made to sound like whiners.

> First, what shackles does Apple place on the content they offer FOR SALE via
> the Internet. Are these shackles different than those imposed by Walmart and
> Target when they sell ...

bottled water? Sure. You can buy bottled water at these stores, but they don't
prevent you from drinking tap water, do they? Apple does. That's the point. And
if you're so naive as to think that eventually all sites will offer HTML5 so
the problem will be solved, think again. That's when Apple will jump on some
other great new protocol, and drop HTML5 entirely. It's the way Apple always
behaves.

> Do you think the CE vendors like the fact that their Smart TVs cannot access
> Hulu? Instead, a subscription to Hulu Plus is required. perfectly fair right?

Why would I think it's perfectly fair? You REALLY don't get it. The CE vendors
had no business all lemming-like jumping to GoggleTV as their solution. It was
thoroughly predictable that the owners of content would object. I would object
too, in their shoes. Why would practically an entire Internet TV business jump
to a single search engine solution? It's downright stupid to think the congloms
would sit by passively while this happened. And there is simply no excuse to
think that the GoogleTV solution was so indispensable.

And there's more. Why can't smart TVs access, say, www.wwitv.com? Do you really
think the CE vendors didn't know? Just how dumb do you think they are? So if
they aren't happy with this state of affairs, who the #$%& forced them into it?

> The difference between us Bert is that I only schedule time in front of the TV
> for stuff I really want to watch.

And I don't? The only difference is that you represent the inelastic demand
side that the MVPDs and the congloms crave.

> So one network is still Flash based,

Reading comprehension issues again, Craig? All US TV network sites use Flash.
Not just CBS. Not saying trhis must be so for all tiem, obviously, but it is
today's reality. You really think Steve Jobs didn't know?