[opendtv] Re: FW: Intel Will Lead Us to à la Carte Pay TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 21:55:50 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> And one more thing. Bert likes to talk about the opportunity for
> the congloms to go global via the Internet. For some reason he
> seems to think that ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC .com are available
> everywhere the Internet goes. He should have been paying attention
> to Tom's comments:
>
> Yeah, trying to map US-centric views, attitudes, and purported
> truths onto what's really happening on the world scale in OpenDTV
> won't make many friends overseas.  Most all of the stakeholders
> and members of upper level management in the evil corporate
> entities so rabidly discussed on this list have passports and are
> not stupid.
>
> The U.S. congloms have been global for decades. The international
> markets are protected with respect to release dates for both
> movies and TV shows. The congloms are not going to let the rest
> of the world "catch up" with what they are showing in the U.S.,
> because they will be making a tidy profit from broadcasters
> outside of the U.S. as they release this content into syndication.

So once again I ask, why should the CE vendors care? Are they on the take?
Cliff says yes. Seems that you are saying yes too now, since Cliff said so.

The CE vendors should sell the best possible Internet TV product. What TV
material the US congloms and the foreign TV networks permit to cross borders
varies hugely, and it's no business of the CE companies to help decide for me
what I can and cannot have access to. That decision should ONLY be on the part
of the content owners.

RAI and TF1, just two examples I'm quite familiar with, often do prevent one
from watching their normal TV content, aside from news shows. But for example,
a couple of days ago I had no trouble watching a TV drama from RAI 1. And there
are plenty of short features, clips or what have you, that are also always
available.

If you are finally agreeing that the CE vendors are on the take, one wonders
why you had to argue so long before admitting this may just be the case.