[opendtv] Re: FW: Intel Will Lead Us to à la Carte Pay TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:17:15 +0000

Mike Tsinberg wrote:

> Do you think its Emmy worthy to be the first who created technology
> and business model for Internet TV distribution that led to today's
> proliferation of Apple, Intel and others?

Yes, no doubt, but I'm not sure who the Emmies would select. Al Gore?

I've been participating in some of the IETF working groups for donkeys' years,
Mike. Work on Internet protocols to support streaming media has been going on
since the early 1990s, with the first RFCs out in 1992 or 1993 (e.g. RFC 1889
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc1889/?include_text=1). If you read the RFC,
you'll see its basic mission in life. Which is:

Internet Protocols were developed specifically to transfer packets in an
unsynchronized, fairly chaotic medium, where the packets can potentially be
routed over different paths during any given session. Because what makes the
Internet practical is that state information is *not* maintained throughout the
network. You don't get a reserved assets along the path. Packets are routed as
soon as they can be, over whatever route is available when that packet arrives
at any router. So, how do we use this wonderful new medium to do an act as
unnatural as supporting streams of time-sensitive, jitter and delay-intolerant
data streams?? Really interesting stuff. Many smart people worked on this.

Radio and telephony over the Internet was the only practical content for quite
a few years, because of core network and last mile access speeds. But it was
available back then. I remember trying Internet radio on our old 56Kbaud
modems. Worked fine.

As soon as broadband access started becoming available to the many,
simultaneous with improved core networks, so that would be in the early to mid
2000s, that's when you started seeing TV on the Internet. This happened on many
fronts, and very much simultaneously. The point being, US congloms got in on
the act very early on, as did foreign TV networks. There isn't just one "let's
make up a hero" individual or company involved.