[opendtv] Re: FCC on VoIP

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 21:09:38 -0700

by way of interlineations

-----Original Message-----
From: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Philip Hodgetts
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2004 3:32 PM
To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [opendtv] Re: FCC on VoIP

At 2:17 PM -0700 9/6/04, John Willkie wrote:
>So it's self-declared location?  That won't be operational in short order,
>because it's unusable.
>
>Location HAS TO BE done by the phone company.

Why?  Self declared is instantaneous.

JW> It's rather simple, Phil.  People call 911 because they or someone they
know of, has an emergency and need immediate assistance.  By their very
nature, emergencies can be chaotic.  This by way of background.

Why?  Because that way, the 5 year old that does not know their address can
get assistance because mommy has gone into diabetic shock.  Because that
way, the woman who's significant other is threatening her life can
concentrate on the situation at hand rather than trying to remember their
address.  Because drunks can need help and may not be able to articulate.

>There are state and federal laws that MUST be dealt with.  This is not a
ne=
>area: California adopted major 911 requirements on phone companies in 1972
>and 1978.

I think you'll find that Vonage is currently in=20
compliance with every law it's required to be in=20
compliance with, including those relating to 911.

End of discussion as far as I'm concerned.  It's=20
there, it works, it's legal and it's more=20
reliable than a cell phone.

JW>The end of this discussion was with the second post, when I challenged it
even being on OpenDTV because it was ill-informed commentary on a subject
that had nothing to do with broadcasting, TV, or satellites.

Also, my issue was never that it is illegal, or even that we need to turn
cartwheels so the FBI can tap up to 1400 lines in every phone exchange in
the U.S. simultaneously.  My issue is that when people pick up their phones
to report an emergency without knowing their address.

You feel different.  My original point is that THE FIRST TIME someone who
needs to call 911 in a life or death situation picks up their Vonage phone
line and does not get the local PSAP, then Vonage, whether in compliance
with any law or not, essentially goes out of business.  Their business is
not worth more than one person's life.

The phone companies know the message.  Not everyone else is familiar with
it.

Philip Hodgetts         philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
President and CEO    818 206 2415
Intelligent Assistants for Digital Media Software -
More than Training - Knowledge at the point of Need.

Take the Tour
http://www.intelligentassistance.com/tour/index.html