[opendtv] Re: FCC on VoIP

  • From: Philip Hodgetts <philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 13:36:04 -0700

At 9:08 AM -0700 9/6/04, John Willkie wrote:
>You are willing to bet that VOIP is more reliable than cellphones?  Answer
>one: balderdash.  Answer two: are you willing to bet your mother's life on
>it?  Will, for example, an out of service VOIP line provide E911 access?
>(No, but an out-of-service cellphone account will.)

Yes our Vonage service already has more reliable=20
and consistent performance than our cell phone in=20
both home and office.  Yes, I'll risk mine and my=20
mother's life on it because it is more reliable=20
than the cell phone.

>If the E911 call cannot be connected because of line trouble, will the E911
>PSAP know that the phone tried to dial the connection (maybe at some point
>in the future with VOIP, but OF COURSE with cell phones.)

If the cell phone fails to make a connection=20
because it can't get a signal - a perennial=20
problem - then there will be no 911 or E911 call=20
made. I'll go with the Vonage reliability thank=20
you.

With Vonage you tell the system where you're=20
located for 911 purposes. The signal is routed to=20
the local emergency service. If you fail to do=20
that then the 911 service is useless as you=20
hypothesize but once a simple zip code entry is=20
made, the 911 service is purely local.

--

Philip Hodgetts         philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
President and CEO    818 206 2415