[opendtv] Re: FCC on VoIP

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:46:47 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Our phone service was never interrupted, although only one
> phone was working during the power outage, because the rest
> are wireless and thus rely on electric power. There is a
> good lesson here: keep at least one traditional phone that
> works with the power provided by the telco.

Exactly.

Coincidentally, in the current issue of Electronic Design
magazine, this article talks about passive optical nets for
fiber to the home:

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/ArticleID/8662/8662.html

So this is not some form of xDSL, but rather FTTH. Problem
is, how do you get power to the phone instrument? The
responsibility is with the home user.