[opendtv] Re: Copps proposes more FCC action

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:27:24 -0700

The "bad system" was NTSC, at least by a decade after adoption.  The same
cannot be said for 8-VSB.  When you get reception, your picture is perfect
of near-perfect.  It has never been that way with NTSC, nor will it ever be
that way.

The ATSC system will be found to serve virtually the same audience as the
NTSC system did the day before.  You are actually spinning this one, Cliff.

Half the country's population DOES NOT RELY on ota, even if you include the
number of satellite homes and double the figure.

Set the bar low for that which you favor (NTSC, I suspect) and set it high
for that which you oppose.

The Congress did not foist a broken system on the country; it adopted the
ONLY terrestrial digital TV system that existed at that time.  JUST LIKE
NTSC.  Oh, that's right -- there was the color wheel system, which had
failed in the marketplace, and which required 3 channels for each station.
Imagine if you had 1/3 the ota channels to watch today.

Time moves on, Cliff.  Do you?

John Willkie