[opendtv] Re: Copps proposes more FCC action

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:34:56 -0700

Cliff;

8-VSB is "promoted and sold" as the functional equivalent of NTSC.

It IS that.

That doesn't mean that EVERY person will have the same service as with NTSC.
Some will see better service, some will see worse.

That doesn't mean that -- remember, I've seen the 4/3 Earth profile graph --
someone who lived behind a hill so high that he NEVER had a reasonable
expectation of NTSC service -- but still had marginal service -- can expect
the same service with 8-VSB as with NTSC.  In other words, your home.

The "Cliff Effect" comes into play.  Hey, that's almost a pun here.

Plain and simple, just a little bit of degradation, and the picture goes
kaflooey.  And, receivers haven't necessarily been engineered for marginal
signal conditions, at least to this point in time.

To me, the (at least for the most part) close-in reception conditions in
urban environments with high signal levels was just plain BAD.  For the most
part, that problem has gone away.

By the way, I highly recommend the Wayback Machine at www.archive.org if
there ever is a question as to what a web site said at a particular point in
time.  I usually keep it a secret.  I've even used it to retrieve --
sometimes with difficulty -- otherwise unavailable old versions of ATSC
specs and standards.

John Willkie