[opendtv] Re: Copps proposes more FCC action

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 21:49:56 -0400

Sorry Cliff.  I guess my inner troll got the best of me for a moment.

But we've gone round and round on those and similar other questions so many times and 5 months is such a short time that I'm certainly willing now to wait for the answer to the more central question, to wit: Will American TV users think 8VSB is good enough to keep once they start actually using it?

We can speculate endlessly (and have been) but a few months from now we will probably know. That is not because the theory, model, or chips change but because that's where the rubber hits the road, the final put up or shut up point for 8VSB use.

I'm looking forward to it. ;-)

- Tom (who has not even put up an antenna at his new house yet)

Cliff Benham wrote:
Tom Barry wrote:
That almost certainly cannot be done now until we try it and find out
how well it works.

My own suggestion is we all argue pointlessly until the end of Feb 2009,
just to pass the time until we have some hard facts. ;-)

Hard facts???? How about this:

8VSB doesn't work as an *equal* NTSC replacement. Period.

It does not work nearly so well at communicating emergency information
in a disaster scenario as does NTSC.

Would you be at all concerned if you were relying solely on an 8VSB broadcast to "SEE" what the hurricane looks like that is headed your way?

Please answer the following questions:

What differences will occur between now and the end of Feb, 2009, in terms of how easily or poorly we will all then receive 8VSB broadcasts?

Will the loss of analog broadcast signals in Feb. make a significant improvement in 8VSB reception as opposed to the poor, uneven, randomly unpredictable reception we have now?

Is there a spreadsheet that accurately predicts for each metropolitan area the channel by channel expected improvement in 8VSB reception in
the latter part of next Feb?

Is there a similar spreadsheet with a timetable that accurately predicts 8VSB reception improvement *or degradation* when all the digital stations now broadcasting with their 'on-loan-from-the-FCC' channels give them back and resume digital broadcasting on VHF channels or other UHF channels?

Have all of this two-part transition been thought out, tested, verified, thoroughly discussed and re-tested and have all possible scenarios been run with computer models?

A sense of scale for the above question:

I'm thinking here in terms of the interestingly accurate 'spaghetti track' computer models predicting the expected paths for hurricanes being shown for the last few weeks on TV.

Is there anything with that kind of accuracy [or better] that can properly predict what will happen to 8VSB when the final shoe drops?