[opendtv] Re: Copps proposes more FCC action

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 09:57:15 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:
Success would be McDonalds giving away free OTA DTV receivers to
anyone who possibly still needed one with a Happy Meal and there would
be no one from the FCC there cutting ribbons or pushing buttons.

A few years ago I predicted McDonalds would be someday giving away copies of the Library of Congress USB key chains with their happy meals. But I guess they do need some variety. ;-)

Of course at the likely data density available McDonalds could just enclose ALL TV shows from ALL channels for the last month or so if that was allowed by then somehow.

Even now the 8GB MicroSDHC chip for my PDA phone has mostly enough to hold, say, all yesterday's prime time from all major network channels at mobile bit rates. Yet it's small enough to accidentally swallow if it got mixed in with my fries.

I wonder if there is a market for a multi-tuner PVR that makes this possible?

- Tom

Bob Miller

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 7:19 AM, Bob Miller <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The idea that the Wilmington experience was "bad" or good depends on
what you consider your starting point. The FCC and you consider just
getting past the transition without a riot of problems, protest or
whatever as good or a success. This all in a population of 7% who
still depend on OTA TV in a flat coastal plain.

I have a different perspective. I think that by now, after almost 10
years of DTV broadcasting in the US, the actual end point of the
transition should have been a non event since by now success, IMO,
would be the fact that every home in Wilmington had at least one OTA
DTV device that was being used and that the average home in Wilmington
had around 5 or 6 OTA DTV receivers.

Success would be defined by a small article in the Fisherman's Post
Newspaper reminding people of that little known event called analog
turnoff and just how much of a non-event it had turned out to be.

Bob Miller

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Albert Manfredi
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

If you were referring to my post I think it is on point and
very current.

Maybe you could point out what you think is from the early
2000s in it.
No, actually I was referring to the whole rash of negative posts, that seem frozen in
time. The only "current" topic was Wilmington. Wasn't Wilmington successful?
Initially, I don't know by now, they got 104 trouble calls from 13,000 to 15,000 OTA
households. And of those, 41 percent were about unspecified reception problems. That's
bad?

That aside, what comments were made that were anything resembling current? All
I saw was hyperbole.