[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 15:30:12 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> Totally disagree. Few people rely on OTA, correct today not tomorrow.
> OTA now represents an option that many will take.

This topic about how many people rely on OTA keeps coming up, and
the best guess is never "no one uses it." I don't know how anyone
can make positive comments about "no one uses it," when the best
info anyone can come up with says quite the opposite.

If DTT is to succeed, it will at very least have to duplicate the
"OTA for the kitchen set" function in TV households, and as Bob points
out, now it can. Before it couldn't.

> The demand for receivers will overtake the mandate, it is irrelevant.
> You will see receivers being used for all size DTV and TV sets next
> year without regard to the mandate.

Perhaps. Or perhaps the length of the transition to color TV, the
failure of stereo AM, and the UHF receiver mandates, are all
better examples of why a mandate matters.

(Not that color TV was the same thing. It didn't matter to the FCC
whether it succeeded or not. But it does matter to the FCC that the
analog spectrum get handed back.)