[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 09:33:27 -0400

At 12:51 PM -0400 7/1/04, John Shutt wrote:
>I ask because I don't know, not to be flip, but is there a difference in
>performance requirements for a "TV" LCD vs. a "PC" LCD such as the ability
>to refresh at 60 fields per second?

This was an issue at one time, but has largely been addressed as the
industry has moved to active matrix technologies to handle screen
refresh. The other areas that may differ are the acceptable viewing
angle and brightness/colorimetry issues.

As with almost any display products, there are a range of performance
levels available for LCD panels. If you find a cheap LCD TV, it is
likely that the performance will not equal a more expensive model
with better display technology and better internal image processing
capabilities.