[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 08:55:55 -0400

At 12:22 PM -0400 7/1/04, John Golitsis wrote:
>There seems to be a silly premium attached to a "TV" LCD display versus a
>"Computer" LCD display, but you can turn any PC LCD display into a TV by
>adding a device such as the NextVision series by ViewSonic.  The end result
>is often significantly cheaper then an LCD "TV" of equal size.  There aren't
>a lot of 16:9 LCD computer displays at this point, but without burn-in to
>worry about, does it matter?

As the article noted, there is an "unsupportable " (in the long term)
premium on LCD TVs, except for some of the non-name brand units like
those mentioned by Bert, which more accurately reflect what the price
could or should be. But there is also a question of getting what you
pay for. A friend bought a 17" Sceptre LCD TV for use in his video
editing system. The "video performance" was so bad that he gave up on
it, and it now is being used as a computer display on a PC.

Also keep in mind that adding video processing capabilities to an LCD
panel is not free. The NTSC tuner is cheap, but you also need an
image processing sub-system to handle de-interlacing and colorspace
conversions including gamma correction. And there are extra
connectors.

What may be more likely in the future is that LCD panels will simply
come with a DVI connector and possibly a USB port for control. As
John notes is to easy to provide the desired I/O externally.

Widescreen computer displays are growing in popularity as the panel
sizes get bigger. ALL of Appl's LCD displays are now widescreen
(typically 16:10); and the top of the line Powerbook model now sports
a wide screen. Once you have 700-1000 lines vertically, it  begins to
make more sense to make the display wider so that documents can be
displayed side by side.