[opendtv] Re: 4:3 transmissions of syndicated programming

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 11:44:28 -0500

At 11:01 AM -0500 3/4/08, John Shutt wrote:
I did not say that, Craig. Mixing HD and SD is extremely easy to do. We have an Omneon server with a MultiPort 4102. This gives us two channels of HD-SDI out and automatically upconverts SD clips to HD. It also has two SD ports that automatically downconverts HD clips. The HD spigots always have HD and the SD spigots always have SD. Very easy. We also own Evertz

Thanks for the correction. This still raises an issue. Do you always use an HD format for emission. upconverting any SD content?

I thought You were doing SD multiplexes most of the time? Is there ever the need to switch a sub-channel to a different resolution?

The problem that I was outlining, and the question that Bert was asking, is specifically what do we do with SD material in an SD server or on videotape (yes it's still used) that could either be 4:3 or ANAMORPHIC 16:9? Without a standard and reliable way for each SD clip to be tagged as 16:9 anamorphic or 4:3, (let alone get into AFD which is yet another can-o-worms,) nothing downstream from the server can automatically adapt for it.

The information is SUPPOSED to be in the MPEG-2 transport stream header. Apparently this is not the case.

The proper place for integration is the receiver in the TV or STB.

I could not disagree more with you, Craig, because every single receiver would have to have the same dual decoder configuration and cache server, and not a single manufacturer even added a second Dolby Decoder for mixing audio, let alone expecting every single receiver to include hard drives for caching.

I guess this is more of a philosophical issue, as clearly there is a huge installed base of receivers that could not do this. BUT...

If broadcasters, or a subset thereof, decided to create a new platform, which IMHO will be necessary for them to survive, they could do this.

A simple example. There are two big problems with MPEG compression. cross fades and fades to black. These functions can easily be implemented in a receiver with dual decoders.

Those two functions cannot be implemented in a receiver with dual decoders. For the cross fade example, you have to be sending two full bandwidth video streams for the cross fade, doubling your bit overhead. For the second example, an advanced codec with a "fade to black" tool is much simpler than dual decoders.

Yes they can. You only need a few seconds of both streams - this can easily be accommodated in the buffers for each decoder without burdening the channel. You could even send the overlap frames well ahead of the transition when the stat mux says there is room.

You're stuck in the "one large set top box for the living room" model of what a receiver should be. Receiver/decoders should be as simple and cheap as possible, so that they can be included in as many items as possible. What you propose means that a cache server must be included in every single device that has an ATSC tuner.

That's the prevailing opinion, just as it it the prevailing opinion that broadcasters need to maintain program continuity on any channel/sub-channel. I would only point out that millions of people are watching TV shows that are file based today, not a carefully constructed linear stream. The linear stream concept will probably persist for the one FTA channel that broadcasters must provide. All of the rest of the bits can be delivered as file, which could also be viewed as streams if you happened to tune it at the right moment. But it is more likely that viewers will "subscribe " to content and watch it asynchronously as we move into the future.

And what happens if this local cache server isn't preloaded with the correct spot? I'm channel surfing, and I tune to your station just before a break. I haven't been tuned to your channel for the last 10 minutes, so I didn't receive a trickle stream feed to my cache server of the next break. What does my box show? What if I was the one that purchased a spot in that break from you and I expected to see it?

No problem. You still maintain continuity in the linear channel. They just see whatever you are inserting at the station. When I ran master control more than three decades ago, we would on occasion do a network roll-over to cover something or to provide a localized version of a commercial. You could think of an ad inserted by a STB as a roll-over.

Agilevision was adopted by many PBS stations. The bitsplicing model held promise, but Agilevision flopped because it was hugely expensive, less-than-robust piece of equipment that combined master control switcher, video server, EAS, CG, branding, and audio mixing all into one box, and that box failed too often. Individual replacement hard drives for the server system cost more than an entire new PC. PBS users have a less than kind euphemism for the Agilevision.

And those were only part of the issue. Commerrcial broadcasters were deathly afraid of putting a box into their facility that could essentially replace them. Fox network had huge push-back on the local insertion boxes that they required affiliates to install.

The Agilevision box was accepted by PBS affiliates because it more closely matched their business model. But, as you said, the box failed to deliver on its promise.

The problem is that broadcasters were not, and most still are not, ready to break away from the linear program thinking that they have been using for nearly six decades.

No, the problem is one of asymmetry. One expensive broadcast facility and millions of cheap receivers. Your model is one of slightly cheaper broadcast facility and millions of much more expensive, large, and complex receivers.

My model resembles what is happening in the real world. The Internet is driven by a distributed server model much like what a broadcast facility will become. And it DEPENDS on intelligent, connected clients to assemble the content in the receiver.

This is why I keep saying that broadcasters must reinvent their business model to survive. The networks are ALREADY making the transition to Internet delivery of their content. The programs contain SIGNIFICANTLY less commercials and the commercials that remain can be targeted to the viewer, just as Google is doing today.

It could work in a closed system such as DBS or Cable, where you control the number of receivers authorized, and can fill a local cache server no matter what channel they are tuned to. But it would never work in a market full of independent OTA broadcasters and fickle channel surfing viewers.

We disagree. The Internet does not rely upon collaboration between the operators of the millions of channels of content that are delivered daily. It's all based in the standards that they can expect a web browser to support. Except for Microsoft, that is, which based much of their business model on selling servers, authoring tools and browsers that use Microsoft's secret sauce, which won't work on competing browsers.