[opendtv] Re: 4:3 transmissions of syndicated programming

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:49:51 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> I'm not sure what is actually happening under the hood. But
>> here goes.
>
> It does not matter.
>
> All that matters is that the appropriate metadata is provided in
> the headers and that the receiver know what to do with the
> metadata.

Certainly, doing this right is the best idea of all.

Since that isn't in the cards immediately, I'm still left wondering why
broadcasters can't do in all of their subchannels what they seem to be
doing now in the HD channels. Which seems like transmitting everything
anamorphic, with black pillars when the content is 4:3. Is this not
possible for some reason?

Another data point. When we still had a 4:3 set connected to one of the
STBs, the STB was of course set for 4:3 display. Somehow, all the HDTV
shows got delievered "full screen" on that 4:3 CRT. Not letterboxed. I
was expecting letterboxed.

> The proper place for integration is the receiver in the TV or
> STB.

Perhaps. There is the telephone model and there is the PC model. In the
telephone model, all the smarts are in the networks. In the PC model,
all the smarts are in the end systems.

Then there is the "thin client" model. That's where you keep the end
systems relatively dumb, perhaps only furnished with a simple web
browser client.

I suppose we could have endless debates about where DTVs fit in this
spectrum.