[opendtv] Re: 4:3 transmissions of syndicated programming

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 14:01:40 -0500

Bert,

I see your point there, and that is a decision made by the syndicator, not the broadcaster. However, it will either be a 4:3 SD letterbox, or a 4:3 full screen. The infrastructure just isn't there at most stations for mixing 4:3 and 16:9 SD programming, even though the equipment is available.

The biggest drawback is that there is no standard way of automatically signaling video as 4:3 or 16:9. If there were, then it would be much easier to store anamorphic 16:9 alongside 4:3 within a video server, and have a downstream format converter either pillarbox the 4:3, or alternately letterbox the 16:9 automatically on a clip by clip basis.

I see tons of letterboxed SD programming on PBS and on the cable networks. As such, I have not heard of any viewer objection to letterboxing per se.

My own personal preference is for a 14:9 SD letterbox of 16:9 material. Makes a good compromise between maintaining staging for 16:9 and minimizing wasted screen area on 4:3 TVs.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Example: last night, CBS9 was transmitting an old episode of CSI Miami.
The episode was originally HD and 16:9, and now it was being transmitted
as SD and 4:3. I've seen this sort of scenario repeated countless times.

Why couldn't the syndicated show have been transmitted as SD and 16:9?