[opendtv] Re: 4:3 transmissions of syndicated programming

  • From: "Adam Goldberg" <adam_g@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 17:11:59 -0500

Sorry, no comment.

-----Original Message-----
From: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of John Willkie
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 2:43 PM
To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [opendtv] Re: 4:3 transmissions of syndicated programming

 John;

I, too am talking about the S259M and S292M level.  I'm not saying that
there are many solutions out there, and I'm not saying that there is ongoing
SMPTE work on these items, but this can be unambiguously signaled within the
facility.

Nor am I saying (cue Adam G.) that these are fully implemented in TV sets.

In a recent filing with the FCC, Tribune Broadcasting asserted that
virtually all U.S. broadcast stations would be using encoders capable of
processing afd by Feb 17, 2009. I thought that was a bit over-the-top, as
predictions go.

John Willkie