[ola] Re: NL-NH hooks

  • From: Martin Kathryn <kmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 22:21:30 +0000

I usually base my hook on the previous day’s lesson.  I like interesting photos
and short films.  For example we had done a sequence story about a boy breaking
a vase.  The next day I showed a clip from Charlie Chaplin of the kid breaking
windows and Charlie magically showing up to fix them.  One day we talked about
school lunch versus sack lunch, and the next day I used the photo essay about
school lunches around the world.  I love “Simon’s Cat” short videos (no
language).  I often use the same hooks with different levels, expecting
different levels of output.  Usually we watch, talk in pairs, share out.  Then
write, pass, and ask questions about the writing.   I have attached some photos
that I like.