[obol] SAS Ankeny NWR Scouting Trip Report

  • From: Mike Unger <unger730@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Blog <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mid-Valley Bird Blog <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 14:03:07 -0700

*SAS Ankeny Scouting Trip Report*

Hello all -

Barbara, Fred, Kay and I scouted Ankeny NWR in preparation for our Salem
Audubon birding field trip on *Saturday, September 19th at 7:00 a.m.* The
four of us covered three locations around the refuge including a 1.5 mile
trek around Pintail Marsh. The marshes have a little lower water level
than a month ago. The weather was decent until the wind picked up (54
degrees at the start and 62 degrees at the end). During the scouting trip
we observed (saw or heard) 42 species.

Most notable observations:

· A *Lincoln’s Sparrow *and a* Golden-crowned Sparrow* on the northwest
corner of Eagle Marsh;

· We saw a flock of 100 *Cackling Geese *flyover Eagle Marsh. We also
saw 16 *Cackling Geese* at Pintail Marsh. The *Cackling Geese* were near
some *Canada Geese* so we saw a great size comparison with the Cackling
Goose being about half the size of the Canada Goose;

· We saw a *Black Phoebe* at the pond just to the east of Pintail Marsh;

· There was one *Pectoral Sandpiper* at Eagle Marsh;

· We saw 70 *Great Egrets* and 13 *Great Blue Herons* at Pintail Marsh;

· There were three *Greater White-fronted Geese* at Pintail Marsh;

· We saw quite a few shorebirds at Eagle Marsh including *Greater
Yellowlegs* (2), *Lesser Yellowlegs* (1), *Long-billed Dowitchers* (13), *Least
Sandpipers* (5), *Killdeer* (7) and *Wilson’s Snipe* (4);

· We saw a *Yellow Warbler* in the area behind the parking lot at Eagle
Marsh.

A complete list of today's birds follows. Our next SAS field trips are *1)*
Keizer Rapids Park on *Wednesday, September 16th at 7:30 a.m.* Meet in the
parking lot near the boat ramp; *2)* Ankeny NWR on *Saturday, September
19th at 7:00 a.m.* Meet at the Overlook off of Ankeny Hill Road. Please
join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Checklist Summary for September 14, 2015*

Number of Checklists: 3
Number of Species: 42

*Checklists included in this summary:*

(1): Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh Overlook @ 7:02 AM
(2): Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh @ 7:56 AM
(3): Ankeny NWR--Pintail Marsh @ 9:54 AM

3 Greater White-fronted Goose -- (3)
116 Cackling Goose -- (2),(3)
250 Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) -- (3)
4 American Wigeon -- (2),(3)
60 Mallard -- (2),(3)
1 Blue-winged Teal -- (2)
2 Northern Shoveler -- (3)