[muglo] Re: Digital Cameras

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 16:48:30 -0400

I can't comment on too many makes of cameras but I've found that I've been
quite disappointed with anything but the Canon interface (it too leaves much
to be desired). Try out the various cameras that you want and see if you can
tolerate/handle/like the GUI.

IMNSHO the GUI on a camera is as important as with the computer. For basic
things (i.e. Auto mode) all cameras are nearly the same with only minor
variations. But, for more complex things each manufacturer has their own
approach (and, dare I say it, the engineers haven't got a clue when it comes
to making cameras usable).

I don't know what the rest of the initial query was but I'd chime in by
saying that a 3 megapixel digicam is the minimum you'd want for basic
point-and-shoot with 4x6 prints. The difference between 3 and 4 MP is
relatively minimal that it's not worth paying for the extra resolution just
for the sake of having the resolution (unless the difference in $$$ is
minimal). For example, the difference between a Canon Powershot A75 and A80
is sufficient to warrant spending the extra cash on the 4 megapixel A80
(swivelling LCD). You can buy a higher quality 3 MP for the same price as a
4 MP and actually shoot better pictures because of higher quality components
in the 3 MP. Take a look at what Canon has done with the Powershot S1 IS
(image stabilising). They made a 10 x zoom, 3 megapixel camera that costs
*more* than 10 x zoom 4 megapixel offerings from the competition. I haven't
seen it in action yet so I can't comment on the image quality but I hope for
the premium $$$ they offer something impressive.

Eric.

>From: Forbes Benning <forbes-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [muglo] Re: Digital Cameras
>Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 09:08:10 -0400

>wrote:
>
> > God!  this choice of a Digital camera is confusing!
> >=20
> > Between Canon (my present preference) HP, Sony, Fuji, Pentax. Nikon and
> > other makes and models.
>
>I prefer those who make film cameras. It seems to me that they have much
>more expertise than say HP and Kodak.
>
>My preferences are Canon, Nikon Fuji and Pentax. I've always admired the
>quirkiness of Pentax and Fuji. I have owned two Pentax point-and-shoot
>cameras over the years. Both were excellent and provided a decade of loyal
>service.
>
>I would buy one with at least 4 megapixel resolution. If I were to buy a
>camera today, I would buy the Nikon Coolpix 5000. It may be more than you
>require, however.=20
>
>Have a look on eBay for this model and any others you may want. There are
>lots of accessories and deals available.
>

>../Forbes
>
>--=20
>A kindly tongue is the lodestone of the hearts of men. It is the bread of
>the spirit, it clotheth the words with meaning, it is the fountain of the
>light of wisdom and understanding.
>     -- Bah=E1'u'll=E1h

>For information concerning the MUGLO List just click on
>
>            http://muglo.on.ca/Pages/joinus.html
>
>Don't forget to periodically check our web site at:
>
>            http://muglo.on.ca/

Free yourself from those irritating pop-up ads with MSn Premium. Get 2months
FREE*