[mswindowsxp] Re: Computer intermittently switches ON.

  • From: Jim Betz <jimbetz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 05:22:27 -0800

  Although it is possible that this is a BIOS problem I would
not update the BIOS unless the BIOS level I was going to had
a fix for a similar problem.  And unless I had whatever I need
to back out the BIOS fix as well.  If this is a BIOS problem
the supplier of the motherboard should know about it and
contacting them first is the right way to start.  The BIOS is
'tricky stuff' and updating it might introduce other problems
you would hate a lot more (like a computer that is totally
unusable because the BIOS update didn't go right).
  I really don't understand your reluctance to take the computer
in to the shop where you bought it and have them replace the
switch.  This is a job that should take them less than 15
minutes and which you should be able to just wait for them
to do this so you only have to take it in and come back.  If
they aren't willing to do the fix while you wait then ask to
talk to someone "in charge".  Or call ahead for an 'appointment'.