[mswindowsxp] Re: Computer intermittently switches ON.

  • From: Ted Cotton <tabcot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:50:57 +1300

Hi, Jim

>  I really don't understand your reluctance to take the computer
> in to the shop where you bought it and have them replace the
> switch.

Actualy I did take it in on Monday and the guy replaced the whole front
panel which incorporates the on/off micro-switch among other things.
Unfortunately, this hasn't fixed my problem. It does seem a coincidence
though that this has happened since it was in the shop last week.

On the first visit the CPU fan was replaced as it was noisy, he reseated the
switch  and fitted another RAM chip to upgrade my computer to 512mgs. On
Sunday night I got the blue screen of death and discovered an incompatible
chip had been fitted. On Monday I had a 512 meg single RAM chip fitted which
fixed that.

I have read that setting MS updates and some virus killers to collect
updates automatically can "wake-up" the system
Anyway, I am now reaching behind my computer and flicking off  the other
switch now.

Many thanks to every-one for your suggestions.

Regards,

Ted.
-----