[modeleng] Re: unknown thread

  • From: "Wilfried Vermeiren" <vermeiren.wilfried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:40:49 +0200

Hi,
Coated tools are a joy to use and come quite cheap. BUT they are designed
for production and the use with the modern CNC machines and are designed
with a different point of view when it comes to tooling. When blunt throw
away as simple as that.
Te point of view here is that it is far more costly to have the tool regrind
as to change it for a new with a known cutting life and known parameters.
Changing the tool for a new one means also a saving on machine setting time
no need to adjust for the differences as result of the grinding.
For us they are nice to have and have a long life as long as you don't abuse
them and the coating stays intact.
In the long run, for us ME, I think it is better to invest in some quality
HSS tools which you can regrind yourself. Have a look at my page on how to
do it.
Regards
Wilfried Vermeiren
http://users.skynet.be/modelbouw.wilfried