[modeleng] Re: unknown thread

  • From: peter.chadwick@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:21:15 +0200

>DON"T get rid of that Holy Book
That Machinery's Handbook actually belonged to mt grandfather (who died
years before I was born): he had a small engineering firm in Birmingham. I
still have his sheet metalworker's hammer and couple of his cold chisels,
too.

I also have an American book on patternmaking dating from the late 19th
century. It doesn't say much about shrinkage allowances for materials
other than brass and iron.

Which leads to another question: would a plain cast iron cylinder ( and
for that matter steam chest) suffer relatively little wear because of the
graphite inclusions providing lubrication, or does it wear faster than a
lubricated steel lienr?

Peter Chadwick (soon to be on a 'plane home!)