[modeleng] Re: Track guage

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:58:24 -0000

> For those of you that build or run locomotives, what guage(s) do you
> prefer?

Many years ago when I was about to retire and take up building live steam
loco's I attended a Midlands Model Engg. Exhibition where some old guy gave
a wonderful presentation on the delights of the hobby. At the end of his
presentation I asked what gauge would he recommend building in. His answer
was simple - as large as you can manage. He was right.

Since I like large, green mainline locos 5" gauge is the largest I can
accomodate within my workshop and estate car, so 5" it is. It also means I
can do decent (as opposed to indecent!)work on both elevated and ground
level track.

Barrie