[modeleng] Re: Track guage

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:38:09 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

John,
There is a small (as opposed to none, for a long time) interest in 2.5"ga over
here . . . as old locos and castings for never-built locos from the 1930s and
40s come to light when old workshops are cleared.  One of the questions which
comes up occasionally is whatever happened to the 1000's of smaller gauge locos
built in the US in the 1930s and 40s?  There are many, but there should be a
great many more.

A good example of this is the "Little Engines" live steam Gauge-O 4-8-4.  Since
the late 1940s over 10,000 sets of castings for this loco have been sold but no
one I've ever talked with has ever known of more than say half a dozen sets in
various hands, I've been bird-dogging live steam for 40+ years and I know of
maybe three sets and I've never seen one complete and operational.  Where did
they all go!?

Regards,
Harry