[modeleng] Re: Modelworks

  • From: "Tim Rickard" <the_viffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:02:25 +0000

Alan

I recently wrote to Mike Chrisp, the editor of ME, about them on behalf of
John Baskett who is building a 7.25 GWR 2-6-2T suggesting that ME should
investigate ModelWorks. Mike basically told us to swing our hooks.

John has basically been doing MWs R&D for them without pay or thanks putting
in many many hours. I really believe that John could have made the loco
quicker from scratch. The straw that broke that particular camel's back was
that John found that the piston was unscrewing from the crosshead (and also
that the cylinders moved on the  frames and leaked at the joint with the
frames and that the piston rod gland was 3mm bigger than the gland nut). MW
issued an advisory note saying that running the engine ran a risk of serious
damage and suggesting inter alia that the piston rods be tightened up with
mole grips before each steaming! I think this show the level of mechanical
sympathy these guys have.

As I say ME decline to take any interest. If I took ME still I'd stop.

Frankly the situation is a disgrace in my opinion.

Peter you can get to Andy Clarke's MW discussion site via his website
www.modeleng.org

Regards to all

Tim