[modeleng] Re: American Diesel Loco Drawings - F7 for Example

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:44:22 +0100 (BST)

Hi there Cliff,

I had a play a number of years back, and built myself a 3.5" gauge 0-4-0
electric loco, to a narrow gauge outline with a friend.

After a bit of playing aound, I shoe horned a sinclair C5 motor into it,
buy trimming everything down, including the rotor shaft at both ends.

The battery for it went in the driving trolley, the rear of which was
built to resemble a box van.

In order to aid traction, we mounted a steel block under the loco, which
measured something like 4*3*2".

I still remember when we went to test out the chassis for the first time.
Most people figured that because of its small size, we'd need to "lean on
it a bit to get it get some grip" and the best prognosis was that it would
only pull its driver.

A few laps later when it pulled out of the station with three passenger
trollies and approx half a tonne behind it (without anyone having to "lean
on it a bit") the critics were silenced.

Before I moved away from Norwich, it ran for few years on the majority of
running days in the year at the Easton Park track (public running every
Sunday May to September) for about 90 minutes each time, until its battery
went flat.

Having said all of that - your comments do make sense, its just that I'm
keen to stick to 3.5" gauge.

Yours,

Rich.