[modeleng] Re: American Diesel Loco Drawings - F7 for Example

  • From: "Jeff Dayman" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:56:47 -0400

That is not correct Al, only some diesels were and are  built by GE. F7's
were built by GM's Electromotive division or EMD.

GM still builds the majority of diesel electric freight locomotives in the
US and Canada. GE builds mainly passenger locomotives and straight electric
locomotives but are involved with new AC generator and motor technology in
partnership with GM.

Another large diesel builder was Alco (they were famous for steam too) and
their Canadian subsidiary Montreal Locomotive Works or MLW.

Fairbanks Morse and Baldwin built diesels in the 1950's as well.

Cheers, Jeff Dayman Waterloo Ontario Canada