[modeleng] Re: American Diesel Loco Drawings - F7 for Example

  • From: "Clif Walker" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:29:33 +0100

Hi Rich andAll,

I think that the snag with 3.5"gauge electric locos is getting worthwhile
battery power into them.It may just work with an American outline but is
impossible with English.Then if you cannot get the batteries in you have a
problem with getting sufficient weight for traction purposes.
The problem also comes up of physically getting in adequate size motors
because unfortunately the amount of power required is dictated by the size
of human beings which cannot be scaled down.
As 3.5" frames are too narrow to get the motors in between them they have to
be mounted on top of the bogies,which then eats into the space where you
want to put the batteries.
It will require a lot of scheming out but I think that you may have to bite
the bullet and go for a 5" gauge F7.
Now that would be some loco.

Regards

Clif