[minima] Re: A linear for the Minima

  • From: "Kevin Williams" <k.p.williams@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 13:04:08 -0000

Another device that might be worth having a look at is the IRF510's big brother the IRFZ24N. I'm building an external amp at the moment that uses a pair of them and will (hopefully) run 50W for 1.5W drive at 12V!

A low cost alternative for the RD16HHF10 perhaps?
The IRFZ24N's go for around 67p here in the UK - cheap as chips!

Kevin GW4WOV

-----Original Message----- From: farhanbox@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 1:02 AM
To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [minima] Re: A linear for the Minima

Mac,
There are several ways to 10 watts.
A. Just use 24V on the IRF510's drains. The 24V smps are quite cheap on the ebay, etc. B. Use an RD16HHF10 inplace of the ol' IRF510. You will have to use a trifilar winding in the final instead of the bifilar one.
C. Use an external boot(my current solution).

This amp is sort of non-scalable to higher power because of the driver chain. The amp is extremely easy to build as it is now. Being RC coupled, it is unreasonable to expect more than 3-4V peak from the drivers without substantial distortion. That limits how much power can be drawn from the final PA. Btw, on 7 and 3.5, you could expect far greater power from the current configuration.
- f
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel