[minima] Re: A linear for the Minima

  • From: "Mac A. Cody" <maccody@xxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 23:00:59 -0600

Farhan,

Thanks for both replies. I fully understand now.

73,

Mac AE5PH

On 02/23/2014 09:51 PM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
Mac,

A. I meant that you can provide +24v to the FET instead of 12 volts. This is the easiest way to get more more. I would imagine that you will get about 10-15 watts of power. +24v smps (switching mode power supply) are available quite cheaply on the net. Here's one that I just located : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-MeanWell-50W-5V-24V-12V-Triple-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-NET-50D-UL-CB-SMPS/949336685.html

C. By a boot, I meant an external linear amplifier. Search for WA2EBY's amplifier. Highly recommended.

- f

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Mac A. Cody <maccody@xxxxxxx <mailto:maccody@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Farhan,

    Thanks for your response. I don't understand a few things, though:

    A. What are "24V smps"?  Or do you mean "24V amps"?

    C. What do you mean by "an external boot"?

    I do not understand exactly what you mean by "on 7 and 3.5 you
    could expect far greater power".  Do you mean 7 MHz and 3.5 MHz?

    73,

    Mac AE5PH

    On 02/23/2014 07:02 PM, farhanbox@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:farhanbox@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        Mac,
        There are several ways to 10 watts.
        A. Just use 24V on the IRF510's drains. The 24V smps are quite
        cheap on the ebay, etc.
        B. Use an RD16HHF10 inplace of the ol' IRF510. You will have
        to use a trifilar winding in the final instead of the bifilar one.
        C. Use an external boot(my current solution).

        This amp is sort of non-scalable to higher power because of
        the driver chain. The amp is extremely easy to build as it is
        now. Being RC coupled, it is unreasonable to expect more than
        3-4V peak from the drivers without substantial distortion.
        That limits how much power can be drawn from the final PA.
        Btw, on 7 and 3.5, you could expect far greater power from the
        current configuration.
        - f
        Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel