[lit-ideas] Re: education

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 14:21:37 -0600

Very interstink discussion.  I hate educated people as much as I hate
redneck Southern bigots.
 In fact I hate everyone, everyone but meself, of course.  And sometimes I
even hate meself.  English major,
Philosophy major, Business major, what the hell?  Do you know how to pick
cotton, milk cows,
butcher a hog, tan a hide, hammer a nail, cook a can of Cambell's soup
without burning it, or even just how
to wipe your ass so that it don't stink so?  Trust me, "how" is more
critical to existence than "why".  And I know
as God knows that God don't care nothing about no goddamn theory of
literary criticism, or investment
banking or epistemology.  All God wants is a hearty laugh, some anodyne
against the horrendous monotony
of omniscience.  I'm sure God would surrender his kingdom for a surprise
punch line -- one he had not written
 an eternity ago.  Some quirky response to life that catches him off
guard.  That's why we exist -- we're God's
jesters.  We were created to stave off God's boredom so that he doesn't
turn all sour-mouthed and do what
Mexican drug cartels do..  And even if you don't believe in God, even if
you wake up every morning and shake
your fist at heaven and shout in defiance: "I don't believe in you,
goddamnit!"  Still there's the day to be got
through.  And god knows, it ain't easy getting through a day being merely
human.  Always
trying to be the apple of someone's eye -- and you know where apples got
us.  But imagine if you were
God and been hanging around since before there was a "since".  Imagine the
boredom!  So, here's my
suggestion for living a long and meaningful life:  forget it.

Mike Geary
losing my memory more rapidly than I had anticipated in Memphis
(if only I could forget that I live in Memphis)