[lit-ideas] Re: education

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 16:01:50 -0700

Julie wrote

How much of an epidemic is this, and how do you, as College Prof's, deal with students whose public schooling has left them entirely unprepared for College-level study and subject matter?

I've never had a student who was entirely unprepared for college-level work; some who were weak (not unprepared) in a particular discipline maybe, but none who was completely lost. I'm not boasting when I say this, just reporting the facts. I taught at two large research universities, Indiana University (1962-63, and the University of Oregon (1963-66), before I came to Reed, where I taught full-time until I retired in 1996, thinking that thirty years was probably enough. I've taught one course a year most of the time since I became emeritus (I mention this to show that I'm still in touch with students).

Reed is well-known for its rigorous academic program and the commitment of its students to it: it's often said that the problem here isn't getting students to study, but getting them to /stop/ studying. How prepared students are academically to come here is reflected in their test scores; not that these alone confirm a student's readiness to come to this particular school, but they're pretty good indications of how well they were taught in high school or prep school. Why am I going on about Reed, where /academic/ (as opposed to psychological) unpreparedness would be extremely rare?

When I taught at Indiana. and Oregon, in the 1960's, most students could write what used to be called 'workman-like prose.' Nothing fancy, but grammatically correct and prima facie intelligible. Their answers might sometimes have been wrong ('London is the capital of France') but one could see /why/ they were wrong. They were not confused, they were not gibberish. I'm no longer optimistic about the ability of American high school students to express themselves; this, of course, carries over into their first college/university experience, and accounts for the growth of 'remedial' courses (mostly remedial English) for first-year students. I'm depressed and frustrated by the disappearance of plain speech and writing among young people, but I can think of no way of bringing it back.

Robert Paul