[lit-ideas] Re: education

  • From: John Wager <jwager@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 10:11:21 -0500

Julie Krueger wrote:
. . . . how do you, as College Prof's, deal with students whose public schooling has left them entirely unprepared for College-level study and subject matter??

Is a problem!!

But the only thing students really MUST HAVE to be students is ignorance. If a student's ignorance extends to not knowing what education is really about, and why one would want to be educated, then that's where I try to start. It doesn't take up a huge amount of time to entice (seduce?) students into seeing that thinking seriously about life is a Good Thing that they want to do.

I used to worry that I wasn't teaching philosophy as the structure of logical argument for a position, but I realized that the preservation of truth is secondary to the appreciation of the importance of truth. If you don't care about an idea or a concept, preserving the truth in dealing with that concept doesn't seem worth the time. Students starting college these days seem to need to just think about some of the ideas--concepts-- involved in thinking. They don't get as far in being able to argue successfully for a position, or in examining the logical difficulties in establishing a position, as I would like them to get, but they do see why it matters that they think about the nature of personal identity, or what makes an action right or wrong, or what some of the various meanings of work might be.