[lit-ideas] Re: Worst Case Scenarios

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 02:12:09 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/2006 12:34:31 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

What's  it like at Ground Zero for the Great Midwest Mumps Pandemic? Was it
started by
Chinese paratroopers, al Qaeda sleeper cells, or rogue GOP operatives? Or  is
it too early to
tell?

Hi,

And, now...a special report on how to keep your children safe!

It was started by two people...

They have been identified -- though no one has charged them with anything,
yet...possibly since they spread the virus to both Red and Blue states, there
is  uncertainty as to the affiliation of either one to sinister forces. Right
now--stupidity rules...(though most people understand the concept of traveling
 and wanting to return home even or especially when one is ill...)

"The first traveler is executive director of a Waterloo, Iowa, downtown
development organization who in late March was in a delegation that traveled to

Washington, D.C.

The woman, Terry Poe Buschkamp, had earlier visited the Dominican Republic,
where she thinks she may have caught the bug. Health officials did not release
 her name, but she has acknowledged her infection to the media."
(She spread her infection ALOT--this is a very active woman...including a pub
 crawl and so forth...)
The other person was a young man returning to Iowa from Arizona (probably a
college student--you know how THEY are...though since he is in Iowa..hard to
say. Hard to say.)
While Missouri and several other states have *some* cases, by far the
majority of them are in Nebraska and Kansas. THAT is the most interesting
aspect,
Health Readers, to begin tracking and doing your personal  interviews.
From having lived in Kansas for nine years, I would suggest  that it has  a
lot to do with the attitude towards vaccinations.(but have not really  read
this so don't quote me--I'm going to check in a bit, though--now that  I'm
thinking of it)
LOTS of stories on how getting your kid immunized has caused the rise in
things like autism, etc.
The reason that is important is that there IS a vaccination for mumps--and if
 you have had the two doses (used to be one but now is two by a certain
age--)
Most schools around the area (Missouri and Iowa for sure) tend to require it
as a prerequisite for school. I'm NOT sure that Kansas does require it--they
are  kind of an interesting type of person there. (when I lived there, the
medical  community was extremely frustrated...it was extremely hard to get rid
of
the  rumors that vaccines would cause the disease, etc--oddly enough, there
are so  many pesticides in the water in Kansas (and pipes not changed, either,
from old  parts of town to new...) that there are more abnormalities that were
being  discussed as a better use of energy to fight to try to get the
environment  cleaned up (corporate farming is big in Kansas and pesticides make
life
easier...)
There was a HUGE push in the KC area a few years ago by almost all the  child
advocate groups to work towards getting kids immunized.
Since Kansas has SO many cases and Missouri so few (comparatively), I do
wonder if it is the fear of immunizing one's kid ... I would be very worried if

I had a child who had not had all his shots, though.
Could be that she is really a cover for biological warfare of some sort...or
maybe just to do a 'test' to see how well we will fare when the Bird Flu
'hits'.  Though many are more concerned about the Killer Bees that are due  to
arrive in southern Kansas and begin to make their way North ...
Make sure all the kids you care about have their shots...
signing off,
Marlena in Missouri, Your Midwest Health Reporter