[lit-ideas] Re: Worst Case Scenarios

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:41:21 -0400

Omar: The terms such as "China's interests" or "US
interests" could use some more critical analysis. The interests of China's government and the big (largely foreign-owned) corporations are not necessarily the same as the interests of its peasants, intelligentsia etc. The same is true of other countries.

It's nice to be able to agree with Omar about something, if only for variety's sake.

When I was in college, I stumbled across _Goals for Mankind_ a study summary produced for the Club of Rome, in a local used bookstore. Callow utopian idealist that I was, it was fascinating to see a "systems theory" of international politics. _Goals for Mankind_ was a map of conflicting national and regional goals that suggested a way of reconciling them in a fair and reasonable way. A fair and reasonable world order...think of it!

If only it were the nature of the world...