[lit-ideas] When Water Wasn't Wet

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 14:35:22 EDT

Wet wet wet
Wet dreams
Water is wet

In a message dated 7/5/2009 1:48:58 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
"Why do we call a pig a  'pig' ?"
"Because they're so dirty," she said.

By the same reasoning,  we call water "water" because it's so wet.

----

Indeed, water and  wet _are_ cognate, and I didn't mean to be rude in the
previous.
The pig  thing we discussed before, and I quoted from  Huxley,

"No wonder them's called  pigs -- they're so dirty".

But again, see if you can reflect on 'I see  with my eyes'. Is that
tautological?

Odd that since oil is also wet we  don't call it 'water'. Trogge should
illuminate us as to how the OED defines  'wet' -- any reference to 'water',
dear? (Or is it the other way round, and  'water' is called water because, as
the Gearys have it, it's  _wet_?)

Cheers,

JL
"Wet Dreams: A study of  Freud"