[lit-ideas] Re: When Water Wasn't Wet

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 15:19:01 -0230

Quoting Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx:

> Geary said:
>
>    "Water is wet"
>    "Grass is green" (etymologically).
>
> -- is that analytic?

"Water is wet" is not analytic. When our children were very young, we would
holiday in Ft. Lauderdale where my parents lived. At the beach, when wishing to
play in the ocean, they would ask: "Dad, can we go in the water now?" To which I
would reply: "Yes, but you mustn't get wet." Their entire sensorimotor years
were of course quite swimless. But when they became pre-operational, they would
just laugh - "Dad, we can't do that!!" - and run down to the water. Case
closed.

Walter O,
author of *How to keep your child from becoming a philosopher*

(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222887319x1201497660/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jul